Friday, September 19, 2008

Going home!

My Dad with Grandma
Grandma's personality shining through!
One of her favorite things to do with grandchildren and great grandchildren...read to them.
This was Sawyer Family Christmas 2007
My Grandma Sawyer as gone home today to be with her Father. This is something she has been looking forward to in the last several months. I'm so excited for her that she is sitting with her Father and talking about everything He did for her and everything she did for His Kingdom in her lifetime. She was also greeted by her husband of over 50 years of marriage along with many other family members. A while back while some of her children were working on going through her stuff at her apartment, they ran across a very special journal. Several years ago I read the Purpose Driven Life and spoke to Grandma about it. Later that same year, I found out she had decided to read it. Along with reading it, she decided to do the journal that comes with it. Her children ran onto the journal as they were sorting through things and decided that I should have it. A month ago when we were in Kansas, we visited Grandma in the hospital and I made sure to tell her the journal was with me and it wouldn't be going anywhere. She sat up and told me to hold on to that because God's word is all we've got to survive. I don't know how many of you have heard of or read the Purpose Driven Life but I thought it was fitting to share with you an insert that my Grandma Sawyer had written in her journal. It reads, "Our time on earth and our energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships and resources are all gifts from God. We are stewards of whatever God has given us. We must recognize that God is the owner of everything and everyone on earth. God just loans the earth to us while we are here. You just get to enjoy it for a while. The more God gives you, the more responsible He expects you to be. At the end of our life on earth, we will be evaluated and rewarded according to how well we handled what God entrusted to us. This world is not my home-I'm only passing through-these words are part of a song I have known most of my life. My identity is in eternity and my homeland is heaven."

1 comment:

Richie's Dad said...

Monica I am really sorry that you lost your Grandma.